H.R. Stevenson, Islington: A Mahogany Drop-dial Wall Clock
A interestingly shaped mahogany drop dial wall clock, the eight-day fusee movement has an eleven-inch round dial painted with black Roman numerals and the maker's name H. R. Stevenson, Theberton St., Upper St., Islington (London), with blued steel spade hands, a cast brass bezel, inner sight ring.
The mahogany case has an unusual 'tear-drop' shaped drop which has a shaped glazed aperture to the front with ebonised edgelining, making the brass pendulum bob visible.
For many years this clock was situated in the Red Lion pub in Gillingham, Dorset.
Height: 20½ inches (52cms)
Henry R. Stevenson is recorded as working from before 1864 until 1867 having moved to Lower Charles Street in 1864 and being at 2a Northampton Square by 1867 both addresses being in the lower part of Islington. He would've been at Theberton Street before 1864. Theberton Street runs off Upper Street in Islington, North London, half way up on the left.