John Thwaites for Lashmar of Brighton

A Regency Bracket Clock

Lashmar Brighton striking antique bracket clock mahogany double fusee

1339: A Regency bracket clock of good colour and proportions, signed on the eight-inch round convex dial R.H. Lashmar, Brighton and with black Roman numerals, decorative blued steel spade hands and a strike/silent lever above XII o’clock.

The eight-day duration five-pillar movement has an anchor escapement with border engraving to the backplate and is stamped and numbered to the front-plate for the movement maker J. Thwaites, 4877 being the well-known maker John Thwaites who went into partnership with George Jeremiah Reed in 1816 to form Thwaites & Reed. The serial number on this movement would suggest a date of circa 1812.

The mahogany, pad-top case has fluted pillars to the corners with brass stops and cast-brass capitals, brass fretwork to the sides, crossbanding to the case sides with additional satinwood stringing below the dial and stands on brass ball feet, with a carrying handle to the top.

Height: 23 inches (58.5 cms)

 

Richard Marchant Lashmar was baptised in Steyning on the 8th of September 1779 and was known to be working at 5, Market Street, Brighton from before 1822 until at least 1826 and then number six from 1828 until after 1834, with this shop being broken in to in 1829. As well as a clock and watchmaker Lashmar was also a banker in the town. He had moved to Henfield by 1839 where he was succeeded by Alfred Martin, having retired by 1861 at the age of eighty.

A number of watches are recorded as signed by Lashmar including examples hallmarked for 1824 and 1833.

Price: Sold

Ref: MM01

Provenance: From the estate of Sir Neville Marriner

World renowned conductor

Click on slide show below to view full images

1339 front
1339 front

1339 movement
1339 movement

1339 angle
1339 angle

1339 front
1339 front

1/3
Ticking
Striking