Pittar Lattey et Cie: An Engraved Carriage Clock
A relatively early engraved carriage clock signed for A. Pittar Lettey et Cie.
The eight-day duration movement strikes the hours and half-hours on a bell with push button to repeat the last hour at will. The platform cylinder escapement has a plain steel three-arm balance and the balance cock and bridges are engraved as is the border to platform itself. The backplate of the movement is stamped with the makers name Pittar Lettey & Co a Paris along with the serial numbers 192 and 13935. It is also fitted with a transitional steel, figure of eight, contrate wheel depth setting bridge coming before the more common fitting of a brass piece with screw thread adjustment. The winding click-work is set on the front-plate, thus leaving the backplate unencumbered.
The white enamel dial has black Roman numerals, blued steel trefoil hands and is signed, A. Pittar Lattey et Cie, Government Place, Calcutta.
The relatively early form of one-piece case is fully engraved with floral decoration, repeated to the handle at the top, which has unusual shamrock shaped end-pieces. To the rear of the case is an unusual lifting glass door.
The relatively short duration of the Pittar Lattey business allows us to date this clock between the years of 1836 and 1842.
Height: 7½ inches handle up.
The business of Pittar & Co was established by Arthur Pittar in August 1825 with their address as 9, Old Court House, Calcutta and had an association with the business of the same name situated in John Street, Adelphi, London. Arthur Pittar had been living in Calcutta from 1822 and was last known there in 1842. In 1848 the business was succeeded by Charles, Nephew & Co, being Charles John Pittar and Parke Pittar along with Thomas Powell who were operating until 1870. Arthur Pittar and Robert John Lattey formed Arthur Pittar, Lattey & Co in 1835, first at 15 ,Tank Square, and then from 1836 to 1842 at 10 Government Place (East Side), Calcutta. The partnership was dissolved in 1842 and was succeeded by Lattey Brothers & Co at 10 Government Place. It is known that Robert John Lattey returned to Europe in 1853 aboard the Madras. Reference: Personal Ancestral File of 11 March 1988 by the Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints, with thanks to the late Paul Layard and John Lattey.