Lashmar, Brighton: A Regency Bracket Clock
1339: A Regency bracket clock of good colour and proportions, signed on the eight-inch round convex dial R.H. Lashmar, Brighton and with black Roman numerals, decorative blued steel spade hands and a strike/silent lever above XII o’clock.
The eight-day duration five-pillar movement has an anchor escapement with border engraving to the backplate and is numbered 4877 to the frontplate.
The mahogany, pad-top case has fluted pillars to the corners with brass stops and cast-brass capitals, brass fretwork to the sides, crossbanding to the case sides with additional satinwood stringing below the dial and stands on brass ball feet, with a carrying handle to the top.
Height: 23 inches (58.5 cms)
Richard Marchant Lashmar was baptised in Steyning on the 8th of September 1779 and was known to be working at 5, Market Street, Brighton from before 1822 until at least 1826 and then number six from 1828 until after 1834, with this shop being broken in to in 1829. As well as a clock and watchmaker Lashmar was also a banker in the town. He had moved to Henfield by 1839 where he was succeeded by Alfred Martin, having retired by 1861 at the age of eighty.
A number of watches are recorded as signed by Lashmar including examples hallmarked for 1824 and 1833.
Price: On Application
Provenance: From the estate of Sir Neville Marriner
World renowned conductor