Leigh Extence | 01395 268723 | 07967 802160 | leigh@extence.co.uk

William Tomlinson, London - An Early 18th Century Ebonised Longcase Clock

An    early    18th    century    ebonised    longcase    clock;    the    twelve-inch    square    brass    dial    has    a    raised    silvered    chapter    ring engraved    with    black    Roman    numerals,    Arabic    five    minute    outer    numerals,    diamond    half    hour    markings,    and    further diamond   half   quarter   hour   markings,   and   is   signed   either   side   of   VI   o’clock   'Wm   Tomlinson,   London'.   The   gilded   matted   dial centre   has   ringed   winding   holes,   date   aperture   and   a   subsidiary   seconds   dial   with   a   raised   silvered   ring,   with   fine   blued steel hands. To the four corners are cast cherub & crown spandrels. The   eight-day   duration   movement,   with   brass   bound   weights,   strikes   the   hours   on   a   bell   with   an   inside   countwheel.   It   is fitted with five finned pillars, the centre one being latched. The   ebonised   case   has   a   double   caddy   top   to   the   hood   with   fretwork   to   the   two   friezes   and   two   giltwood   ball   and   spire finials.   The   ebonised   hood   pillars   have   cast   brass   capitals   with   a   brass   escutcheon   to   the   lock.   The   trunk   door   has   a   round lenticle   to   view   the   pendulum   bob   and   a   decorative   cast   brass   escutcheon   in   a   style   much   favoured   by   the   top   makers   of this period; with a plain base standing on applied plinth. Height: 96 inches (244 cms) Please click on images to enlarge: Any additional images are shown below

William Tomlinson

William   Tomlinson   was   a   fine   maker   and   is   first   recorded   as   becoming   a   Brother   of   the   Clockmakers   Company   in   1699   and Master   on   the   29th   of   September   1733.   He   worked   at   The   Dial   &   Three   Crowns,   Birchin   Lane,   nr   Royal   Exchange;   now   in White Hart Court, Gracechurch St. A Quaker, at some point he retired to Stoke Newington where he died in 1750. Various clocks by Tomlinson are recorded including: A fine ebonised bracket clock made circa 1710: Catalogue of clocks for sale, White, Boniface, Thornbury. Date unknown. A   further   ebonised   bracket   clock,   with   a   three   train   chiming   movement,   was   in   the   famed   pre-war   Wetherfield   Collection; see W.E. Hurcomb, The Wetherfield Collection of Clocks, second edition August 1929, page 32. A   watch   is   known   presented   to   the   President   of   Harvard   College,   Edward   Holyoake,   after   which   the   outer   case   was   made into a drinking cup. A watch signed by Tomlinson, and dated 1719, is in the collection of the Victoria & Albert Museum, London. A   George   II   mahogany   longcase   clock,   with   moonphase:   Sotheby's,   Bond   Street,   2nd   February   1970,   lot   213;   sold   to   Pavolini for £210.00. An   almost   identical   case,   and   most   probably   from   the   same   workshops,   is   shown   housing   a   movement   by   Charles   Goode   of London   in   Derek   Roberts,   British   Longcase   Clocks,   page   34,   where   it   is   suggested   that   other   makers,   including   Tompion, used this style of case.

Price: On Application

Ref: 1298

Additional Images

Leigh Extence Fine Antique Clocks
Leigh Extence | 01395 268723 | 07967 802160 | email: leigh@extence.co.uk
Leigh Extence Fine Antique Clocks

William Tomlinson, London - An Early 18th Century Ebonised Longcase Clock

An   early   18th   century   ebonised   longcase   clock;   the   twelve-inch   square   brass   dial   has   a raised   silvered   chapter   ring   engraved   with   black   Roman   numerals,   Arabic   five   minute   outer numerals,   diamond   half   hour   markings,   and   further   diamond   half   quarter   hour   markings, and   is   signed   either   side   of   VI   o’clock   'Wm   Tomlinson,   London'.   The   gilded   matted   dial   centre has   ringed   winding   holes,   date   aperture   and   a   subsidiary   seconds   dial   with   a   raised   silvered ring, with fine blued steel hands. To the four corners are cast cherub & crown spandrels. The   eight-day   duration   movement,   with   brass   bound   weights,   strikes   the   hours   on   a   bell with an inside countwheel. It is fitted with five finned pillars, the centre one being latched. The   ebonised   case   has   a   double   caddy   top   to   the   hood   with   fretwork   to   the   two   friezes   and two   giltwood   ball   and   spire   finials.   The   ebonised   hood   pillars   have   cast   brass   capitals   with   a brass   escutcheon   to   the   lock.   The   trunk   door   has   a   round   lenticle   to   view   the   pendulum   bob and   a   decorative   cast   brass   escutcheon   in   a   style   much   favoured   by   the   top   makers   of   this period; with a plain base standing on applied plinth. Height: 96 inches (244 cms) Please click on images to enlarge: Any additional images are shown below

William Tomlinson

William   Tomlinson   was   a   fine   maker   and   is   first   recorded   as   becoming   a   Brother   of   the Clockmakers   Company   in   1699   and   Master   on   the   29th   of   September   1733.   He   worked   at The    Dial    &    Three    Crowns,    Birchin    Lane,    nr    Royal    Exchange;    now    in    White    Hart    Court, Gracechurch St. A Quaker, at some point he retired to Stoke Newington where he died in 1750. Various clocks by Tomlinson are recorded including: A   fine   ebonised   bracket   clock   made   circa   1710:   Catalogue   of   clocks   for   sale,   White,   Boniface, Thornbury. Date unknown. A   further   ebonised   bracket   clock,   with   a   three   train   chiming   movement,   was   in   the   famed pre-war   Wetherfield   Collection;   see   W.E.   Hurcomb,   The   Wetherfield   Collection   of   Clocks, second edition August 1929, page 32. A   watch   is   known   presented   to   the   President   of   Harvard   College,   Edward   Holyoake,   after which the outer case was made into a drinking cup. A   watch   signed   by   Tomlinson,   and   dated   1719,   is   in   the   collection   of   the   Victoria   &   Albert Museum, London. A    George    II    mahogany    longcase    clock,    with    moonphase:    Sotheby's,    Bond    Street,    2nd February 1970, lot 213; sold to Pavolini for £210.00. An   almost   identical   case,   and   most   probably   from   the   same   workshops,   is   shown   housing   a movement   by   Charles   Goode   of   London   in   Derek   Roberts,   British   Longcase   Clocks,   page   34, where it is suggested that other makers, including Tompion, used this style of case.

Price: On Application

Ref: 1298

Additional Images