Leigh Extence | 01395 268723 | 07967 802160 | leigh@extence.co.uk

Howell & James, London - A Quarter Chiming Bracket Clock

A superb quality and small ebonised bracket clock, standing only sixteen-inches high to the top of the finial, with a triple- fusee, eight-day duration movement chiming the quarters on eight bells and the hours on a gong. The five-inch arched dial has a finely matted centre, a raised chapter ring engraved with black Roman numerals, raised gilt brass spandrels engraved in the style of Thomas Cole, who supplied Howell & James with clocks, and a silvered plaque signed ‘Howell and James, London. To the Queen’. Within the arch are two subsidiary dials for ‘strike/silent’ & ‘Chime on Eight Bells/Westminster’. The small ebonised bell-top case has canted corners, a stepped base, a bell-top surmounted by a pineapple finial, with ormolu mounts and side frets of excellent quality. Height: 16 inches (40.5 cms) Please click on images to enlarge: Any additional images are shown below

Howell & James

Howell and James were founded in 1819 as silk mercers & retail jewellers, the original partners being John Howell and Isaac James. By 1838 the firm had become Howell, James & Co. with the partners now John Howell, William Sedgwick, Thomas Stroud and Henry Gillett although by 1855 the company was in the sole ownership of Gillett and in 1884 became a limited company known as Howell & James Ltd. The opening day of their annual ‘exhibition’ became one of the outings of the period attracting the cream of London society. They exhibited at the Great Exhibition of 1851 in Hyde Park, as well as the International Exhibition of 1862, the Paris Exhibition of 1867 and the London exhibition of 1872. The company were champions of the South Kensington School and included many items within their stock that came from this establishment, and included jewellery from designers such as C.L. Eastlake, M.D. Wyatt, F. Leighton, and L.F. Day at these various exhibitions. From 1876 they held popular exhibitions at their Regent Street premises showcasing the painted pottery produced by amateurs. One of their designers, the well- known L.F. Day had made a clock for the 1851 Great Exhibition and went on to design the companies stand at the later 1878 Paris show. His Aesthetic clocks were a mainstay of Howell and James’s production, who had other prominent designers from the Arts & Crafts movement working alongside them including Thomas Harris and J. Llewellyn who left in 1889, taking many of the selling rights to Liberty & Co situated close-by in Regent Street. Howell & James sold clocks of the highest quality, many supplied to them by the well-known maker Thomas Cole whose decorative pieces are quite distinctive.

Price: £5,500.00

Ref: 1250

Additional Images

Leigh Extence Fine Antique Clocks

Howell & James, London - A Quarter Chiming Bracket Clock

A superb quality and small ebonised bracket clock, standing only sixteen-inches high to the top of the finial, with a triple- fusee, eight-day duration movement chiming the quarters on eight bells and the hours on a gong. The five-inch arched dial has a finely matted centre, a raised chapter ring engraved with black Roman numerals, raised gilt brass spandrels engraved in the style of Thomas Cole, who supplied Howell & James with clocks, and a silvered plaque signed ‘Howell and James, London. To the Queen’. Within the arch are two subsidiary dials for ‘strike/silent’ & ‘Chime on Eight Bells/Westminster’. The small ebonised bell-top case has canted corners, a stepped base, a bell-top surmounted by a pineapple finial, with ormolu mounts and side frets of excellent quality. Height: 16 inches (40.5 cms) Please click on images to enlarge: Any additional images are shown below

Howell & James

Howell and James were founded in 1819 as silk mercers & retail jewellers, the original partners being John Howell and Isaac James. By 1838 the firm had become Howell, James & Co. with the partners now John Howell, William Sedgwick, Thomas Stroud and Henry Gillett although by 1855 the company was in the sole ownership of Gillett and in 1884 became a limited company known as Howell & James Ltd. The opening day of their annual ‘exhibition’ became one of the outings of the period attracting the cream of London society. They exhibited at the Great Exhibition of 1851 in Hyde Park, as well as the International Exhibition of 1862, the Paris Exhibition of 1867 and the London exhibition of 1872. The company were champions of the South Kensington School and included many items within their stock that came from this establishment, and included jewellery from designers such as C.L. Eastlake, M.D. Wyatt, F. Leighton, and L.F. Day at these various exhibitions. From 1876 they held popular exhibitions at their Regent Street premises showcasing the painted pottery produced by amateurs. One of their designers, the well- known L.F. Day had made a clock for the 1851 Great Exhibition and went on to design the companies stand at the later 1878 Paris show. His Aesthetic clocks were a mainstay of Howell and James’s production, who had other prominent designers from the Arts & Crafts movement working alongside them including Thomas Harris and J. Llewellyn who left in 1889, taking many of the selling rights to Liberty & Co situated close-by in Regent Street. Howell & James sold clocks of the highest quality, many supplied to them by the well-known maker Thomas Cole whose decorative pieces are quite distinctive.

Price: £7,500.00

Ref: 1250

Additional Images

Leigh Extence | 01395 268723 | 07967 802160 | email: leigh@extence.co.uk
Leigh Extence Fine Antique Clocks

Howell & James, London - A Small Ebonised Quarter Chiming Bracket Clock

A   superb   quality   and   small   ebonised   bracket   clock,   standing   only   sixteen-inches   high   to   the top   of   the   finial,   with   a   triple-fusee,   eight-day   duration   movement   chiming   the   quarters   on eight   bells   and   the   hours   on   a   gong.   The   five-inch   arched   dial   has   a   finely   matted   centre,   a raised    chapter    ring    engraved    with    black    Roman    numerals,    raised    gilt    brass    spandrels engraved   in   the   style   of   Thomas   Cole,   who   supplied   Howell   &   James   with   clocks,   and   a silvered   plaque   signed   ‘Howell   and   James,   London.   To   the   Queen’.   Within   the   arch   are   two subsidiary   dials   for   ‘strike/silent’   &   ‘Chime   on   Eight   Bells/Westminster’.   The   small   ebonised bell-top   case   has   canted   corners,   a   stepped   base,   a   bell-top   surmounted   by   a   pineapple finial, with ormolu mounts and side frets of excellent quality. Height: 16½ inches (40.5 cms) Please click on images to enlarge: Any additional images are shown below

Howell & James

Howell   and   James   were   founded   in   1819   as   silk   mercers   &   retail   jewellers,   the   original partners   being   John   Howell   and   Isaac   James.   By   1838   the   firm   had   become   Howell,   James   & Co.   with   the   partners   now   John   Howell,   William   Sedgwick,   Thomas   Stroud   and   Henry   Gillett although   by   1855   the   company   was   in   the   sole   ownership   of   Gillett   and   in   1884   became   a limited   company   known   as   Howell   &   James   Ltd.   The   opening   day   of   their   annual   ‘exhibition’ became   one   of   the   outings   of   the   period   attracting   the   cream   of   London   society.   They exhibited   at   the   Great   Exhibition   of   1851   in   Hyde   Park,   as   well   as   the   International   Exhibition of   1862,   the   Paris   Exhibition   of   1867   and   the   London   exhibition   of   1872.   The   company   were champions   of   the   South   Kensington   School   and   included   many   items   within   their   stock   that came   from   this   establishment,   and   included   jewellery   from   designers   such   as   C.L.   Eastlake, M.D.   Wyatt,   F.   Leighton,   and   L.F.   Day   at   these   various   exhibitions.   From   1876   they   held popular    exhibitions    at    their    Regent    Street    premises    showcasing    the    painted    pottery produced   by   amateurs.   One   of   their   designers,   the   well-   known   L.F.   Day   had   made   a   clock for   the   1851   Great   Exhibition   and   went   on   to   design   the   companies   stand   at   the   later   1878 Paris   show.   His   Aesthetic   clocks   were   a   mainstay   of   Howell   and   James’s   production,   who   had other    prominent    designers    from    the    Arts    &    Crafts    movement    working    alongside    them including   Thomas   Harris   and   J.   Llewellyn   who   left   in   1889,   taking   many   of   the   selling   rights to   Liberty   &   Co   situated   close-by   in   Regent   Street.   Howell   &   James   sold   clocks   of   the   highest quality,   many   supplied   to   them   by   the   well-known   maker   Thomas   Cole   whose   decorative pieces are quite distinctive.

Price: £5,500.00

Ref: 1250

Additional Images